Tuesday, May 24, 2011

ARCHDIOCESE OF BRISBANE - THE BATHERSBY YEARS IV THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM


Archbishop Bathersby




ARCHDIOCESE OF BRISBANE – THE BATHERSBY YEARS IV   1997 CALM BEFORE THE STORM
After the bruising events of 1996, both the Media and the Archdiocese appear, looking at the published record, to have retired “hurt”, or to re-group for the next campaign.
Curiously enough, it is from that very year a very revealing story became” public “but went unnoticed.
The National Council of Churches in Australia publishes a Newsletter “IN UNITY” and its September/October 1997 Issue (Vol.4 No.3) carries a front page story on the new President of the National Council of Churches in Australia – none other than the Archbishop of Brisbane John Alexius Bathersby. The article is written by a David Busch:
“In a country hospital in Queensland a young Priest baptizes a man who is about to die.
Nothing exceptional in this, except that the sufferer is a fine devout Anglican who already had been ministered to by his own vicar.
Forty years later that young Priest now recalls “We thought we’d done a marvelous job for this poor that well secured the salvation of his immortal soul.”
The Priest is now the Archbishop of Brisbane the Most Reverend John Alexius Bathersby and National President of the National Council of Churches in Australia the first Roman Catholic to hold that position. So he admits to some embarrassment in recalling the incident. …………..
Wrestling with Faith
Raised in Stanthorpe on Southern Queensland’s Granite Belt, the young John Bathersby spent the 1950’s studying and at seminary, before his ordination and posting to Goondiwindi in Western Queensland in 1962.Seven years later, while pursuing further studies in Rome, he found himself wrestling with challenges to his faith that he’d never confronted before.
“I moved into what you might call the chaos of the Second Vatican Council”, he says “My faith was shaken to the very foundations as I began to read the new theology. At one point my faith just collapsed. I had a terrible feeling I had been deceived in my belief and I had been deliberately misled by the Church. I
This was the result of the prayers of people who were praying for me., it was a mysterious coming together again of my faith.
And having found God again in the midst of that, I had a firm conviction I would never lose God again. It meant I had to rebuild my faith from the ground up, but when I did I had something much deeper and more comprehensive than before.”
The article goes on at some length about the Archbishop’s enthusiasm for Ecumenism reflected in so many of his activities.
VOCATIONS
In 1997 not even one new Seminarian entered the Provincial Seminary at Banyo. 

Archbishop Bathersby and Deposed Bishop Morris with Anglican Arcbishop Aspinall
Signing the renewal of a Rush era Covenant on the Altar as Desk.

No comments: