Thursday, February 23, 2012

THREE NOTABLE THINGS AT THIS MORNING'S MASS

SACRED HEART CHURCH PYMBLE N.S.W.
Mass at Sacred Heart Church Pymble this morning was at 9.00 a.m. It was notable for three things:


Firstly, as in every Mass, the ever awe-inspiring re-presentation of the Holy Sacrifice of Calvary, in which the Priest Father Mariusz Adamczyk S.D.S., acting in Persona Christi, consecrated the bread and wine and our Divine Lord, Body,Blood, Soul and Divinity became present on the Altar and then came t the 50 or so present in Holy Communion, took place. If that only happened once in ALL HISTORY, it would exceed anything Man would ever witness. How fortunate we Catholics are that it happens for us daily! Do we become too familiar with this every day WONDER?


Secondly, as in every Catholic Church around the world on this Thursday of the First Week in Lent, one of my very favourite prayers was recited:


"Lord,
  may everything we do
  begin with your inspiration,
  continue with your help,
  and reach perfection under your guidance.
  We ask this through Our Lord Jesus Christ Your Son,
  Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit,
  one God, for ever and ever."


It has always seemed to me just about an ideal prayer. If it were realised in our lives , how happy our situation would be! We would be properly attuned to the Will of God - which is His intention for us.


Thirdly,after his customary VERY devout celebration of the Mass and the completion of Holy Communion, Father Mariusz took his seat on the Celebrant's chair bowed his head and made his thanksgiving. When he had finished this, still seated, he quietly invited the congregation to join him in reciting the "ANIMA CHRISTI". My heart leapt for joy at this further evidence of the holiness of this young Priest, and at the chance to publicly recite this Prayer which I have loved since I read it in my Sunday Missal as a boy of eight years of age :




SOUL of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds, hide me.
Never let me be separated from Thee.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
At the hour of death, call me.
And bid me come to Thee, 
That I may praise Thee in the company
Of Thy Saints, for ever and ever.

Amen.


In the original Latin, the language of the Church down through the ages, its full beauty is revealed:


ANIMA Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Iesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te
in saecula saeculorum.

Amen.
The prayer is sometimes attributed to St. Ignatius Loyola, because of his use of it, but it has been found to predate him by over 100 years. The author is in fact unknown. No doubt Our Lord has rewarded him over and over again.We all owe him a great debt of gratitude.




I hope your first Thursday in Lent started off so well! You would be very lucky!

2 comments:

HolyCatholicApostoli said...

Today, while it is the first Thursday in Lent is known as the "Thursday after Ash Wednesday". Next Thursday is known as "Thursday of the first week of Lent" because this Sunday is the "First Sunday of Lent".

vexilla regis said...

Exactly. Let's hope my lack of precision in nomenclature doesn't distract from the point of the Post!