Saturday, February 16, 2013

LOVE IS EVER ATTENTIVE TO THE BELOVED


LOVE

DOES NOT WITHDRAW ITSELF

BUT ALWAYS GIVES TO THE TRULY BELOVED


During the holy season of Lent, the subject of Love is continuously brought to our attention. God's Love for us, our love for Him, and our love for one another. 

Many people scorn the "Social Media" e.g. Facebook some of the same folk also disdain the Internet! 

But this morning I noticed a Post on Facebook by a young African Seminarian from Nigeria with whom I have occasional contact. It is beautiful and shines from the goodness of his soul and heart : 
"
I have so much Love in and around me!
I was fashioned out of LOVE
I breath in LOVE and breath out LOVE
I act in and out of LOVE
And I know my earthly mission will only come to an end as a fulfilment of this same LOVE
It is this same LOVE we celebrate today.... The LOVE upheld by the New Testament,
The Love that is boundless,
The LOVE that breaks no heart
The LOVE that is ever faithful...
The Love I have for U all."



 UMEH, ALPHONSUS What a good and holy Priest he will make!
Then, within a few minutes I came across another Facebook post by a Frenchman, Jacques Bouchet, consisting in the text of an Edith Piaf song : (please forgive my clumsy effort at translation)

“Oui la vie, c'est l'amour    Yes life, is love

Et l'amour, c'est la vie        And love, is life

Pas de vie, sans amour       There is no life, without love

Pas d'amour, sans la vie      There is no love, without life

Notre vie pour l'amour,        Our life is for love

Notre amour pour la vie       Our love is for life

("La vie, l'amour" (Michel Rivgauche / Robert Chauvigny)


Whilst the Piaf song is written about romantic love, as is so often the case, much of it is directly applicable to our love for God and His love for us, and his expectation of our love for each other. 

Now the two streams of thought call to mind, and find their completion in, the familiar writings of Saint Paul on the subject, which are exquisite as is the writing of Saint John - "the beloved disciple" in old age which are called to mind also :  

Saint Paul  Corinthians 1 :13

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
 3If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.
 7Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
And :
Saint John 1 – 4: 7-12
"
My dear people,
let us love one another
since love comes from God
and everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. Anyone who fails to love can never have known God,
because God is love.

God's love for us was revealed
when God sent into the world his only Son
so that we could have life through him;
this is the love I mean:
not our love for God,
but God's love for us when he sent his Son
to be the sacrifice that takes our sins away.

My dear people,
since God has loved us so much,
we too should love one another.
No one has ever seen God;
but as long as we love one another
God will live in us
and his love will be complete in us."

SUMMARY 
We have the evidence of God Himself - who "is Love" - that Love gives of itself. It does not withhold itself, either to penalise, to be "hurt", or to contemplate its own purposes.
Genuine Love cannot restrain its giving even unto Death - Death on the Cross. Genuine Love is concentrated on the good of the beloved. 

What a powerful example our loving Saviour has given us, for our proper response to him, and to those He has placed in our lives.

And we must never forget the seal He placed on the obligation to love, with His " New Commandment" :

Having moments before, for the first time, called these burly fishermen and men of the world 
" Little children..." on this sacred Holy Thursday , he says -

" A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another." John  14 - 13 : 34

" As I have loved you...?" How is that?  Totally, self-lessly , sacrificially.Our Divine Lord had always known the horrors tomorrow - Good Friday - would bring . But He yearned for it for the good of those He loves - even until the end of time. How fortunate we sinners are.



No comments: